Sunday, October 22, 2006

Halloween decorations

101011101935

Standing out in the rain talking to my Brother, who just started his own blog on wordpress. My brother is a consumate story teller, so I look forward to reading what he has to say. Excellent picture with the pumpkin there, puts mine to shame.

I'm out here with the dog, who was too wound up to be inside the house. I think she's calming down a little by being out in the cold. What I was thinking about when I took this picture was a little odd. I was thinking back to graduate school and one of the classes I disliked intensely, but always enjoyed the lecture portion, well, almost always. The professor always told stories in class, which were generally entertaining, even though it is not an era I think much about. But tonight I was because I was remembering a story about Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln had just gotten some sort of triumph over one of the members of his twisted cabinet and he remarked to somebody, or in his journal, or something "Now I have a pumpkin for each side of my saddlebag." One of those sayings that was killed by 20th Century technological developments, I suppose. And yet I'm not sure to this day what the Hell it was supposed to mean. I'm going to bed early. A tiring day and I am not doing well in general.

No comments: